Top 5 Secrets To Start and Maintain Your 2012 Exercise Plans
By: Briana Boehmer
The first two months of the year my health club is JAM PACKED (and I mean it!) with people exercising like it’s their job. Then March hits…and all is back to normal. Same regulars – no hustle and bustle. The yearly question rears it’s head – why is it so hard to stick to our well-meaning goals?
My take on this never-ending phenomenon – we set ourselves up for “failure” before we even start. When we peek into other aspects of our lives, take finances for example, we find that proper planning and paying attention to our personal circumstances is critical. So why, oh why, would it not be the same when it comes to health and wellness goals?
If you’re sick of starting your fitness regime over and over again, follow these 5 key tips I tell all my clients to take very seriously. If you do, you will find it VERY hard to quit!
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Be realistic with where you are at and what you should be changing. One of the biggest mistakes I see people make when setting up a new exercise routine is trying to “do it all”. Not only is this dangerous, it is in most cases very counterproductive in relation to your end goals. Please heed this advice; there is value in gradual change. True habits are formed with careful consideration and dedication. Taking goals in incremental steps ensures you actually learn a new habit that sticks. Little changes turn into big successes.
- Create accountability. Top on my list for successful behavior change! When you are accountable in a MEANINGFUL way to someone or something you are more likely to feel a greater sense of responsibility toward what you are doing. Find a friend, family member, group, coach or even on-line support that will help you stick to the goals you have set. Tell your accountability source what your goals are and give them specifics on how you need help!
- Journal your activity and progress. 411Fit knows that when you journal your exercise and nutrition (meaning actually WRITE IT DOWN!) you are without question more likely to lose weight, gain fitness, and make behavior changes. Knowing what you are doing helps you clearly see where you need to go.
- Make it fun. Sure, seems obvious. We don’t stick to things in life when they aren’t fun. When you enjoy what you do, change is easy. Given the proper oomph, you can make anything fun…see our blog about fun ways to exercise … but more importantly take a look at what you enjoy! Then decide how you can turn what you enjoy into a healthy habit.
- Enlist SMART resources! Fitness software that is easy to use and easy to find! Tools like 411Fit help provide a huge chunk of what I have laid out here.
– Guidance on appropriate goals that aren’t too big to chew
– The ability to create accountability with friends, a community, and experts
– Challenges, reports, a social network…so much fun to be had!
Believe me when I say change doesn’t have to be hard…we usually just make it harder than it has to be. Set yourself up for success and be one of those gym regulars. Come on! Prove me wrong come March! We would love to hear from you and what you have done to stick to YOUR goals!